Ora King Salmon with Mosaic Lentils
We joined Chef Colin Smith from Roundabout Catering in the kitchen at the Club at Rancharrah to learn how to make this delicious summer recipe. It’s light and healthy, with a creamy dairy vegetable and lentil base for the seared salmon to sit on. You can watch the video to follow along with Chef Colin to see how it’s done. Give this a try at home and when you do, don’t forget to upload a picture and tag @RoundaboutReno and @NevadaMilk.
- 1 cup black beluga lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup finely diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow squash
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp minced shallots
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 4 6oz filets of Ora King Salmon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp chives
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- zest of one lemon
- 1 fennel bulb, shaved
- shaved orange zest
- extra virgin olive oil
- Simmer lentils for 25 minutes until tender, make sure they still have texture. You don’t want them to be mushy. Then strain the lentils, set aside and let cool.
- While the lentils are simmering, prep the vegetables. Dice the zucchini, yellow squash and red pepper, put in a bowl and set aside.
- Then mince the shallots and put in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Make the fennel garnish. Take the fawns of the fennel and shave the fennel bulb on a mandolin. Put in a bowl. Chop the tarragon and add. Add the zest of an orange, a little salt, a little pepper and a little extra virgin olive oil. Mix and set aside.
- Now prep the salmon. In a bowl add the extra virgin olive oil, lemon zest, salt, pepper, and chives. Mix together until you have a paste. Put the salmon in the bowl and coat with the mixture.
- Make sure your grill or your pan is hot and add the salmon. You don’t want to overcook your salmon. You want the inside to be medium-rare—about 6 minutes—so keep an eye on it.
- While the salmon is cooking at your saute pan to the stovetop. Add about a tablespoon of butter and your shallots. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add the diced vegetables to your shallots. Saute and flip/mix as they cook for an even cook.
- Chop some more chive and some fennel fawn and add to the vegetables in the pan.
- Add the heavy cream to the vegetables in the pan and mix.
- Add a little more salt and pepper, as well as squeeze some lemon. Mix.
- Add the lentils (they should have already been strained and set aside to cool) to the vegetables and cream. Mix.
- Add any final salt, pepper or lemon to taste.
- You’re ready to plate your dish! Spoon the lentil and vegetable cream mixture onto the plate to create a bed for the salmon. Place the salmon on top and then top with the fennel salad.
Recipe created by Colin Smith, Owner and Chef, Roundabout Catering.