Red Velvet Cookies
Soft, chewy and topped with a creamy frosting, these cookies are a repeat treat any time of year—especially the holidays.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp distilled white vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp red food coloring
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup softened unsalted butter
- 4 oz softened cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whip butter, sugar and vinegar together until pale and fluffy, then mix in the egg.
- Add vanilla and red food coloring, mix until blended.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Mix in the white chocolate chips.
- Form balls of dough on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake 9 - 11 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, make the frosting.
- Beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl.
- Slowly beat in the powdered sugar.
- Add cream and keep mixing until creamy.
- Frost the cooled cookies with a knife.
Try dark chocolate chips for a different take on red velvet cookies!
Inspired by and adapted from: Betty Crocker