Potato and Cheese Gratin
With melted cheese and potatoes, your family will always welcome this simple dish at the dinner table.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 cups (16-ounces) shredded cheese
- 2 lbs potatoes, washed, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sweet onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a small casserole dish.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a small saucepan.
- Whisk in flour until incorporated. Approximately 2 minutes.
- Stir in the milk gradually until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, nutmeg, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil then, simmer until sauce is thickened. Approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add 1-1/2 cups of shredded cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Cook over medium-low heat until sauce is smooth. About 3 to 5 more minutes.
- Combine potatoes and onions in a large bowl.
- Add cheese sauce and toss to coat.
- Transfer the potato mixture to the casserole dish and wrap tightly with foil.
- Bake until potatoes are tender; about 45 to 50 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Uncovered, bake until cheese is melted and lightly browned. About 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Let sit a few minutes to cool before serving.
For an easy weeknight side, prepare this a day in advance and reheat prior to serving.
Inspired by and adapted from: Dairy Good