As we celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, we couldn’t forget this traditional beverage! This thick, hearty, maize-based hot drink is native to Mexico and Central America.
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 3 cups milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup grated piloncillo
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Combine masa harina, water, milk, piloncillo and cinnamon. Whisk the mixture to combine in a saucepan.
- Bring it to a simmer, whisking often.
- After 5-10 minutes, remove the atole from the heat.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract.
- Top with a pinch of cinnamon.
- Serve warm and Enjoy!
Try fruit-flavored atole by stirring a 1/2 cup of pureed fruit into the mixture while cooking. Popular fruits in Mexico include strawberries, guava, pineapple, blackberries, plums, and mangoes.
Inspired by and adapted from: Curious Cuisiniere