A perfect treat for a slow weekend morning with family, these delicious cinnamon rolls are the perfect balance of sweet and doughy.
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp unsalted softened butter
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp milk
- Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and yeast together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine milk, water, and butter together in a bowl. Microwave or use the stove and heat until the butter is melted and the mixture is warm.
- Pour into the dry ingredients.
- Add egg and stir until it forms a soft dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, gently knead the dough.
- Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover loosely and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough out in a 14×8 inch rectangle.
- Spread the softened butter across.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar. Sprinkle it all over the dough.
- Roll up the dough tightly.
- Cut into even rolls.
- Arrange in a lightly greased 9-inch round dish.
- Tightly cover the rolls with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 1-1.5 hours.
- After the rolls are about doubled in size, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes until lightly browned. If you notice the tops are getting too brown too quickly, loosely cover the rolls with aluminum foil and continue baking.
- Whisk powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk together.
- Spread over warm rolls.
- Serve and enjoy.
Try using strong brewed coffee in the icing for a different flavor.
Inspired by and adapted from: Joy Food Sunshine