We joined Chef Jay Rathmann from BJ’s Nevada Barbecue Company to learn how to make his famous biscuits & gravy. These biscuits are the lightest, fluffiest you’ll try. You can watch the video to follow along to see how it’s done. Give it a try at home and when you do, don’t forget to upload a picture and tag @NevadaMilk and @BJsNVBBQ.
Buttermilk Biscuits & Country Gravy
- 5 Cups All purpose flour
- 2 Tsp Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp Baking powder
- 2 Tsp Baking soda
- 1.5 Tsp Granulated sugar
- 4 Oz Salted butter, cubed
- 4 Oz Lard, cubed
- 2 1/4 Cups Buttermilk
- 6 Tbsp Salted butter
- 6 Tbsp Bacon grease
- 3/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- 1 Tsp Kosher salt
- 1 Tsp Garlic powder
- 1 Tsp Ground white pepper
- 1/4 Cup Diced yellow onion
- 1/2 Gallon Whole milk
- 1/2 Cup Cooked, diced bacon
- 1/2 Cup Cooked, diced breakfast sausage
- Stir together the dry ingredients and then cut in the butter and lard until combined.
- Stir in and fully incorporate buttermilk until a dough is formed.
- Placed on a floured table and knead 6 to 8 times, then roll out to 1/2" thick.
- Cut square or with a biscuit cutter.
- Bake at 325 to 350 degrees for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Baste with melted butter when removed from the oven.
- In a small saucepan melt butter and bacon grease, and bring to a simmer.
- Add flour and stir until smooth and remove from heat.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat add milk and stir until milk is 175 degrees.
- Add remaining spices and whisk together.
- Add flour mixture to milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add bacon and sausage.
- Continue to whisk and cook gravy until thick and smooth in texture.
- Serve over biscuits.
Recipe courtesy of Jay Rathmann of BJ’s Nevada Barbecue Company.